Puget Sound Educational Service District’s Math Specialists support districts onsite. The specialists are contracted to school districts for a specific number of days annually to help coordinate math curriculum and instructional efforts. Services include professional development and coaching, instructional strategies and curriculum-specific training and coordination of curriculum, assessment, and instruction alignment work.
Services Offered by the PSESD Math Team:Professional Development: We are able to meet with you and your district math leaders to construct a professional development program informed by the latest research in the field of mathematics education that is tailored to the needs of your students and teachers. We can:
- Meet with you and your math leaders to identify needs as well as areas of interest such as Common Core Content, the Standards for Mathematical Practice, and high leverage mathematics teaching practices
- Conduct professional development sessions targeted at identified needs and areas of interest which are informed by research, on-going, and job-embedded
- Support math coaches in classroom coaching, debriefing and leading PLCs
- Support math leaders in conducting district wide instructional materials reviews to consider the match of district needs, research informed best-practices, and available instructional materials
- Support math coaches and teachers in crafting and leveraging an assessment system that utilizes assessment resources already in place, including summative, interim/benchmark and formative assessments
- Assist in collaborations within district between math teachers and other departments such as Special Education, English Language Learning, Blended Learning or content areas such as Science.
This is only a partial list. We are eager to work with you to support your students and teachers as we continue implementation of the Washington State Learning Standards and work to close the opportunity gap in mathematics. Please let us know if we can be of service. Contact information for Greta Bornemann, Leslie Nielsen and Remy Poon
PSESD Mathematics publishes a monthly newsletter during the school year addressing themes and problems of practice that arise from our collaboration with math educators in our region. Additionally the newsletter provides resources and promotes statewide and regional upcoming opportunities.
Join other math district and building mathematics leaders in the region in a collegial environment which focuses on student sense making. Our network will share instructional strategies and formative practices while we develop a collaborative professional learning community. We will learn from each other and keep up-to-date on what’s happening in mathematics in the state. Meetings occur five times throughout the year at PSESD; all math teacher leaders are welcome.
|17-18 Dates* (Meeting time: 9:00am-12:00pm)|
|October 2, 2017|
|November, 13 2017|
|January 8, 2018|
|March 12, 2018|
|May 14, 2018|
*Please note: registration is required for each meeting in order to assure we have enough copies and supplies for everyone.
PSESD is proud to support a thriving regional Fellows network. Fellows are teacher leaders and are a crucial component of systemic statewide implementation efforts for the WA State newest LEARNING STANDARDS in MATHEMATICS (Common Core State Standards). The fellows support district implementation efforts and collaborate at the state, regional, district, and local levels to build coherence in supporting effective implementation of CCSS by focusing on shifts in instructional practice to increase student learning. To learn more visit OSPI’s Fellows page HERE
The PSESD Math team populates this page with resources that are effective, productive and/or research based to support learning and teaching mathematics and to support teacher and district leaders. If you have ideas for additional resources for or have resources to share please contact one of us.
PSESD Conference Presentations
- Coherence Northwest Math Conference
- Examining Quadratics 10.22.16
- Supporting Student Discourse Through Productive Instructional Routines
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional development opporunities coming soon!
PreK-5 Mathematics Leadership is a grant-funded effort that aims to improve mathematics instruction for students attending schools in South King County that are part of the Road Map region. This work is a continuation of the previous PreK-3 Mathematics Leadership work that PSESD had previously offered.
PSESD has partnered with Seattle University to create a Mathematics Endorsement Academy. This provides teachers the opportunity to add a supplemental, secondary math endorsement to their teaching credential. Through Washington state legislative funds, scholarships are available to cover the entire cost of the program. This is an intensive, 20 credit post-baccalaureate academy that is completed in a one year period.
For more information, contact: